Monday, November 9, 2015

5 Reflection on Accessibility Of Material

  • How accessible are your current instructional materials?
  1. My lecture videos need to be updated with captions and/or transcripts. However, the majority of the content covered is on the powerpoint. What's not on the page are usually additional explanation I provide, and pronunciation of the language. I need to think through what I need to do, and which lecture videos need the additional support of captions and transcripts. The "How-to" videos definitely need those.
  2. I am not sure how accessible my handouts are if someone is using a reader. I think it'll be a mix. Some handouts will be easier to read, and some will not be. Perhaps this is something I should spend some time investigating.
  3. There are digital workbooks available, but that's additional costs that we do not have. It would be great if we have digital textbooks and workbooks for students. This would be especially helpful for visually impaired students. Right now, our workaround is to prepare large-print textbook and workbook for those students in need.
  • Are there elements of your instructional materials that could be revised to make them more accessible?
I'd like to add captions and transcripts to the lecture videos at some point in time. I should also think about how "readable" my handouts are if someone with disability is accessing it online.
Since I use Google drive and Edmodo, I organize my materials into folders. If I were not using Google Drive or Edmodo, I would probably continue to update my Wiki. I did use headings for easy navigation on my Wiki pages. 
  • Please share any resources you know or use to make your curriculum and course accessible.
  1. I host my videos on Vimeo, but YouTube is a good option as well. When I used to have just slides, I would use SlideShare.
  2. I use Quia.com to create exercises that the students can do at home and receive instant feedback. Students can also do these activities as many times as they want/need/like. Students can access them whenever and wherever. This is especially important for listening and reading exercises. 
  3. I use GoFormative.com for the higher level students to do their "language (grammar) practice". This saves the students time (instead of writing them out by hand), and we can go over as a class faster as well. We see all the answers simply by pulling up the page, instead of waiting for students to write them on the board. I don't do this for levels 1&2 because they need to practice writing. 
  4. Google Drive/Edmodo: I host a variety of resources on Google Drive and Edmodo so they are easily accessible by the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment