Saturday, October 10, 2015

2.3 Reflection - Methodologies of the Online Instructor

  • Reflecting on the information covered in this module so far, how might your instructional methodologies need to change in an online or blended learning environment?
 Since I flipped part of my instruction, I have been contemplating whether I should flip 100%. The concern has been, and still is, that the students are very passive and don't take charge of their own learning. They don't always watch the videos. I have tried to work with the situation by (1) doing in-class flip, and (2) doing a short-version of the lecture. Because I deliver the instructions on Vocab and Grammar instructions via videos, and I go over the text in person with the whole class. I use that opportunity to do an over all review of the lesson's content, and as a way to hopefully cover some holes for the students who did not watch or did not pay attention to the video instructions.

Because students' reaction to all the in-class practice activities we do are very positive, I really want to make sure we have enough time to do these activities.

I am trying to decide if I should do in-class flip or just train the students to take responsibilities of their own learning so they can best benefit the blended learning environment.

  • What skills and strategies might you improve or expand upon in order to best support student learning in a blended or online environment?
I feel that I need to work on training the students to take responsibility and take charge of their own learning in order to really benefit from the blended model. I don't think this concept or the study skill is new, but students who have been in the traditional face-to-face classroom are used to being very passive, so asking them to do the opposite is going to take some time. My concern with this is that training students to function differently is not easily accomplished in a short amount of time.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same problem when I flipped. The same students who didn't do their homework before, mostly didn't watch the videos. So I transitioned to having them watch the videos in class. It didn't save me class time like it would if they did it at home, but it allowed me to transform my class to a more student centered learning environment, and I changed what I did the rest of the time with them too.

    I just learned about SowntoGrow.com, which aims at trying to get the students to take charge of their own learning. It looks like an interesting tool that may be worth trying out.

    ReplyDelete